Saturday, February 24, 2018

EARLY SPRING GUEST...











February 23, 2018





The Lord speaks to us in ways we can understand. For me, it's usually in some form of nature. Awakening early this morning, I didn't know it yet, but a special treat awaited just outside the patio door.


As I passed the door on the way to my usual first stop, the coffee pot, my eye caught a flicker of movement just outside the door. For a few moments, the coffee pot was forgotten when I saw the tiny brown wren sitting on the wicker chair next to a planter of ivy. There was a dried leaf in her (or his) beak...not sure who's in charge of building the nest...but I'm thinking it's the dad's job after momma bird chooses the site.


I stood watching as his head jerkily moving side to side, but I knew without a doubt where he was headed with it. The planter was thick with ivy making a nice dry hideaway under the eave. About then, the mate, I'm assuming the momma, flew to the chair and perched herself close by as if making sure all was done correctly.


I wasn't surprised to see them, just surprised at the timing. It's way to early for spring! Another week until March. It has to be instinct...warmer temps, budding blooms...they must be thinking 'it's spring'. And so another season begins. I'm always amazed at how these little creatures know what to do...that it's time to prepare for a new family. God has given them the ability and the knowledge, while paying attention to every detail, as He does with all things. Seeing this same scene, yet different each year, reminds me of the song we sang in Sunday School years ago, "Who taught the birds to build their nest?"


By now, you must wonder where all this is going...this seemingly insignificant experience on my patio. Those who know me know I love my little feathered friends. My courtyard is a haven for them year round. There they have food, water, creeping vines to explore and quiet little spots to nest.


All this to say, God has created an indescribable world for us to live in. In the busyness of life, we hurry to the car, to the market, or wherever we need or are inclined to go, and we miss out on the little things. I think what I would've missed had the urge for coffee been greater than taking a peek outside and see my feathered friends busy at the their work, doing what they were created to do. I know all of you aren't bird lovers. Just sayin', take a little extra time to be kind, to hold a door, let the other guy get the first parking spot, or just say, "Hello" with a smile. You never know what might make someone's day just a little brighter.


Once again, the Lord spoke to me with a little serendipity to start my day with encouragement and hope. The one drawback to all this, Lucy and I have to be extra quiet for a few weeks when near the planter, but it's a small price to pay for the enjoyment it brings


                         "Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow or reap nor
                           gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
                           Are you not of more value than they?"




Till next time...