Friday, March 30, 2012

WELCOME SPRING!

Greetings....

Spring is upon us once again - the only difference, it started about 3 weeks early!  I, for one, am glad in a way - the pesky yellow pine pollen is gone that much sooner.  Amazing, but due to the mild winter, I have trailing verbena that survived and is  covered with deep purple blooms. For some reason, I have developed a love of lavender and purple. Maybe something to do with the book, 'When I am Old I will Wear Purple.'  Have been meaning to read that, but haven't as yet gotten around to it.

Dates have a real significance for me; maybe I should clarify - I'm talking the calendar kind, not the other - of which it's been a long, long time for me:))  Which, by the way, is okay - I have left that up to God and am happy with whatever He decides.  But that's another story for another time. As I was saying, about dates ... we all know how important birthdays are, as well as anniversaries of one sort or another.  A memorable date is coming up for me tomorrow - March 31.  On this date, 21 years ago, it was not a happy occasion, not an event marked by a photo album on my shelf of special memories. Instead, it was a life-changing experience I call ''the crossroads" - the time when my life as I knew it, changed forever.  
   
We rarely know the meaning, blessing or consequence of an event until much later - until we've gained perspective through the years and begin to understand that the pain and comfort, joy and sadness that occurs in our lives is important - and necessary.  Looking back at this dark time in my life, I see how God used it to bring me into the light of today.  Each step, each turn in the road, even each detour was in His Plan.

Tomorrow will be a day of reflection and of gratitude.  I will go back briefly to that time of depression and confusion, but only to measure how far I have come. Was that really me back then?  Yes, it was me, but not the 'real' me. I wore the mask of pretense, which, if worn long enough, will eventually suffocate and stifle the true person within. Today, my 'true' person has emerged thanks to the grace of God. Without His love and faithfulness, as well as that of so many others He's brought into my life, I can't imagine where I would be. What a journey it has been! 

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite authors:  "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."  RW Emerson

Be Blest and Be Encouraged.....